Monday, November 26, 2012

Access to Computers: Switches

Through my research about switches, I have learned that there are many types that benefit an individual. A switch is a device for making or breaking the connections in an electrical circuit. A switch can enable an individual who lacks the fine motor control to operate devices such as toys, wheelchairs, computers, and communication devices. Individuals with cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries, autism, and speech impairments can benefit from the use of switches. These devices can also come in different shapes, sizes, colors, and types.

There are many switches available for all types of contact and body movement. Each switch is beneficial to the simple activation of toys, operating a computer, and for daily usage such as turning on and off the lights and television, opening doors at home, and communicating. I chose to focus my research on three types of switches. The types of switches that I have chosen are the sip-n-puff switch, tongue switch, and the eye blink switch. 

The sip-n-puff switch is used to send signals to a device using air pressure by inhaling or exhaling through a tube. The sip-n-puff switch is activated by the use of an individuals breath. An example of using the sip-n-puff switch is an individual using a computer. A
"puff" could generate a click of a mouse while a "sip" could mean holding down a key down on a keyboard. The user can puff out the letters while they can navigate the screen by a sip.


The tongue switch is a switch activated by pushing up or down on a short lever with the tongue, nose, chin, or finger. This device can be activated through movement. My favorite switch is the eye blink switch. The eye blink switch is activated by each eye blink or double eye blink and can control communication devices. This device is activated by a single blink of the eye! This device is an example of the equipment that was brought to us by the guest speakers. Actually having the opportunity to try the product out and research it was an amazing experience.

As a future educator, it is my job to research all of the Assistive Technology tools that are available for each type of student. I will possibly have a student in my classroom using on of these switch devices. I will be fully prepared to know how the device works and how I can accommodate my lessons and activities for my students with disabilities.  

AT Switches

1 comment:

  1. Desiree,
    I also did the Access to computers but I did option #2! On Option 2, i had to read a blog about how to use switches and the author, Glenda came up with some very creative ways for the students to use their switches such as the child being allow to tell the students about their day using a switch. The blog was very informative and I think you should take a glance at it!
    Timara

    ReplyDelete